Re: /dev/input/by-path/<link> unreliable with MultiTouch device

Hi Benjamin,

So:
1) between 2.6.34 and 2.6.39, Mosart devices are handled in
hid-mosart, and since 3.0 through hid-multitouch. Using these drivers
will allow you to have a better support of your devices.
However I'm not 100% sure it won't create more than one input device
if your hardware declares more than one interface.

2) Using the quirk HID_QUIRK_MULTI_INPUT is the exact opposite of what
you want to do -> it creates several inputs when it sees several
touches -> you then have a lot of inputs with unusable stuff.

I have returned to this problem today. I've turned off the QUIRK and added the hid_mosart driver. These devices are new so I added their ID's so the mosart driver would recognize them. I end up with the same results I had before ever trying the QUIRK: the event codes from the device are not ABS_X and ABS_Y, but ABS_HAT2X and ABS_HAT2Y. These ABS_HAT2? events make it through the system device files and I can read them using the linux input API. The problem is that the xorg evdev driver does not process the ABS_HAT2? events. The QUIRK made the events change to ABS_X and ABS_Y. The usbhid driver and hid_mosart driver end up giving the same results with respect to the data being reported via linux input API.

- patch your kernel (> 2.6.35) using the patches here:
http://www.lii-enac.fr/en/architecture/linux-input/multitouch-howto.html#get
(but I did not tested old kernel releases) -> you will get the same
input layer for multitouch than a 3.4 kernel (the older the kernel is,
the more intrusive it is).

I am reluctant to patch the kernel we end up qualifying for our systems. It is an unknown for me trying to deliver a product soon.

- work on an udev rule that detect the physical path, and creates a
symlink /dev/input/mosart-X

This is helpful and made it where I could get the QUIRK solution working okay. Without the QUIRK there isn't an entry problem in the / dev/input/by-path directory.

- rely on xorg input rules system to detect your devices (though I
don't know when they added the physical path in the configuration
options).

I have been attempting to get the driver layer to send up ABS_X and ABS_Y so that evdev would work. I mod'd evdev to process the new events but it got screwy. I prefer to get the system to send up events that evdev will handle and I won't have to modify it further. I don't need any kind of multi-touch capability until the next major revision of our application software, so I am taking the shortest path to get there.

Thanks,
Donald