Re: HID regression: Quanta touchscreen, device ID: 0408:3008

Hi guys,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 16:19, Ming Lei <tom.leiming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> those two links don't provide any detailed report whatsoever. Looking at
>>
>>        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/913164
>>
>> there seems to be quite some discussion, but covering multiple models from
>> multiple vendors (and likely multiple different patches needed).
>
> On comment #14, #15 and #32 of the above link, only the  Quanta touchscreen
> (vendor ID: 0408, device ID:3008) is related.
>

>> So if there are patches that need to be applied (likely device ID
>> additions as far as I understand this monster launchpad bug entry), please
>> point me directly to the respective patches or send me a little bit more
>> details (VID/PID/protocol needed), and I'll queue the patches.
>
> Sorry, I have not any patches which can make the Quanta touchscreen(0408:3008)
> working well, also no any device ID addition patch is need for the device.
>
> You can understand my email as a regression report for the Quanta touchscreen
> device, since it works well on 3.0 kernel, but double click stops working
> on 3.4-rc2.

Well, depending on the point of view, it's a regression or a feature ;-)

in kernels pre-3.2 IIRC, this device used the embedded mouse interface
(so the double click "worked"). Now, it's using the generic
hid-multitouch driver, which means that it forwards raw multitouch
events to the upper layers.

The problem relies in the upper layers and not in the kernel: nobody
took the time to code a X.org driver that handles true multitouch
direct devices. You can eventually use the synaptics one, but you will
have to deal with absolute/relative coordinates, and the last time I
played with it, it was not convenient as I was not able to make GDM
use the absolute coordinate system (I kow I should have patched the
synaptics X.org driver).

Cheers,
Benjamin