Mixed "pen" and multitouch input devices

Hi,

we are working on already existing multitouch driver for a Promethean
ActivBoard, which supports both multiple fingers and pens. The pens
behave Wacom-like, i.e. the device actually can tell a cursor position
without a button action.

Because of the (up to 4) fingers, we use the input_mt_* functions. Is it
possible to just update the cursor position without a button action? (As
it is can be done with plain input_* functions?) Or do we have to create
two input devices? (one with multitouch input_mt_* and one for the pens?)

Information about our context: We took the partial working and GPL
licensed driver code out of /usr/src/ of [3] and enabled the multitouch
parts of it.

    Thorsten

[1] http://git.cs.fau.de/?p=re06huxa/promethean-activboard
[2] git clone git://git.cs.fau.de/re06huxa/promethean-activboard/
[3] http://activsoftware.co.uk/linux/repos/debian/pool/oss/a/activdriver/activdriver_5.7.23-2~debian~squeeze_amd64.deb