User space raw hid support

Hi all.

I'm currently working on a HID Over GATT Implementation (HID over Bluetooth Low energy).

As part of the design, it is required to configure the HID subsystem from user space, configure a report descriptor with input/output/feature report points, and send/receive data from and to the kernel HID Subsystem, from user space.

Is there anything already supporting this feature ? I was looking at hid-raw, but it is used to send raw data from user space to the hid device - I need to send raw hid from the device to the kernel.

Our basic idea was to develop a new misc char driver, at /dev/uhid. This device will be opened for each remote device we have access to, configured, and then read/write the raw HID packets from the device directly to this driver. We would like our solution to be a simple proxy between the device and the HID system, and we do not want to include a HID parser in our code, to make sure latency stays as low as possible.

Thanks for your assistance,

Chen Ganir
Texas Instruments.