Re: disable touchpad?

On 02/24/2012 01:31 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Friday, February 24, 2012 12:04:04 PM Randy Dunlap wrote:
(b) My Toshiba Portege laptop has a touchpad on/off button.  Is that
supported?

Kernel probably emits one of KEY_TOUCHPAD_* for it; whether it is handled
in userspace I do not know.

I have heard from some of our engineers who have looked into this that the interface for these buttons is not standardized. Sometimes the buttons turn off the touchpad in hardware. Sometimes they emit events that tell the OS to turn it off, and the OS needs to know how to handle it.

On top of that, LEDs are sometimes there to tell you if the trackpad is on or off. These are also not standardized. Sometimes they are hooked up to the hardware, and when the hardware is off they go off. Sometimes they are just a plain old LED and the OS needs to turn it on and off.

Fun...

-- Chase