Re: New "ABS_WHEEL2" axis?

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 01:31:09PM -0700, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
>> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Looking at this once more ABS_WHEEL does not semantically match to what
> Wacom driver users it for either. ABS_WHEEL is not "an abstract
> circular-shaped sensor on a device" for rather a "steering wheel"-like
> control on a game controller. So Wacom needs to move away from using this
> event.

We can move away from using the WHEEL. But, we do still need to use
something to report the values. We need a constructive suggestion to
"move away" ;).

>> The rings are controls built into the "pad" -- the hardware you bring
>> the stylus in proximity to. Along with the touch rings, there are also
>> buttons and touch strips. Now, some devices have controls on only the
>> left-hand side of the pad, while others have the controls on both
>> sides of the pad. While one could argue that this makes each "side" a
>> complete context that can be broken apart into separate devices, that
>> doesn't really solve anything. What's stopping us from grouping
>> several rings together?
>
> Well, there are several topics here...
>
> What you apparently have is a group of unclassified, as far as Linux
> input subsystem concerned, sensors. When I say unclassified I mean that
> there is no appropriate event code we can assign to the control to allow
> a generic consumer determine the purpose of that sensor. You need help
> of a specialized driver to decide what to do with the data or, in case
> of generic driver, user has to explicitly map it to some action, but
> there is no way for automatic discovery/configuration which is the goal
> of input core. The only and closest event that we have that is suitable
> here is ABS_MISC.
>
> Here however is a problem: there is only one ABS_MISC and we often have
> several such sensors on a device. I do not want to have ABS_MISCx as
> again, it does not solve anything, manufactures always come with bigger
> and bigger devices (there some music controllers with dozens of
> sliders). Encoding data into ABS_MISC (let's say highest byte denotes
> sensor number) is awkward as well. So that is why I propose splitting
> them into separate input devices and have driver discover and handle
> them as it sees fit.

The rings are on the tablet. Events from them are combined with the
events from the other tools moving on the tablet. Splitting the
wheels/expresskeys from the tablet would only complicate the
situation. We would have to link the wheels back to the tablet in the
user land, an unnecessary step that we should/could avoid in the
kernel.

Ping