Re: Annoying touchpad behavior

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011, Daniel Kurtz wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Alan,

> >> You probably have corner taps or multi-finger taps enabled on your box.
> >> What does "synclient' has to say about your setup?
> >
> > Here's the output from "synclient -l":

> The synaptics X input driver is probably interpreting large contacts
> as 2-fingers, which is in turn being translated into a 2-finger tap.

That's right!  2-finger taps are reliably interpreted as right-clicks.

> To completely disable "2-finger Tap as Right Click", try setting TapButton2 = 0.
> To temporarily change the setting, you can use the synclient program.
> To make it permanent, change the value in the Synaptics section of
> your xorg.conf file, and restart X.

The synclient program does the job.  However there is no Synaptics
section in xorg.conf.  In fact, there isn't any xorg.conf file at all;
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory contains only
00-system-setup-keyboard.conf, which talks about the keyboard but not
the touchpad.

Presumably I can add a similar file with config information for the
touchpad driver, but I'm not sure what it should say.  Any suggestions?

Alan Stern