shutdown callback needed in serio?

Howdy,

I'm writing a serio-based kernel driver for a uart-based chip that my company makes. This chip is used on embedded systems and implements several features: gpio, rtc, interrupt controller, etc.

One of the features is a power/reset controller. We support one family of ARM chips that cannot even reboot themselves. This family has a single reset request line that gets asserted for several reasons: writing to the shutdown register, low-power suspend, hardware watchdog, etc. For normal cases the host should send a serial message to setup the desired action (reboot, powerdown) then write to the shutdown register.

Normally shutdown or suspend callbacks are available, but serio does not expose these. Should I try to register a child platform_device with these callbacks? How is this going to work during reboot and shutdown since inputattach must be running in userspace to keep the line discipline alive? Will serio disconnect before any the kernel sends shutdown notifications?

-joey