Re: hid-magicmouse driver race condition (second try)

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Jaikumar Ganesh <jaikumarg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Resending as the first email bounced.
> --------
> Folks,
>   There is a race condition in hid-magicmouse driver that I am
> encountering. In the probe function, we call magicmouse_setup_input
> after hid_hw_start which calls
> hidinput_connect.
>
> So if a userspace thread scans "/dev" to see if there is a new input
> device and on seeing the new magicmouse device added, makes the ioctl
> call EVCIOGBIT for EV_ABS or EV_KEY or any other type it will get
> wrong values as magicmouse_setup_input has not been called yet.
>
> So these keybits will change under the hood for the userspace program
> on an open file descriptor.
>
> I am able to reproduce this race condition easily. To verify the
> above, as a hack, I called magicmouse_setup_input just before calling
> input_register_device in hidp_connect and things were fine.
>
> We were not using hidp-input parser but in the following commit we
> moved to it which introduced the race condition:
>
> commit 64eb105d7f92fa48798106ac0d8bf17668eb2524
> Author: Michael Poole <mdpoole@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Fri Sep 24 13:58:18 2010 +0200
>
>    HID: magicmouse: Use hid-input parsing rather than bypassing it
>
> Any pointers for a clean fix ? Do we want to add a new field to
> hid_driver structure so that we can use it to call from hid-input to
> indicate parsing is done before the input device is registered ?

I had a look at the hid-apple.c driver which also has a setup_input function.

But that function is called inside input_mapping - so that gets called
every single time input_mapping is called.
That will fix this issue too, but seems like an overkill to call
magicmouse_setup_input every single time in input_mapping.