Re: Driver support for TI's quadrature encoder module

On 09/09/11 13:05, AnilKumar, Chimata wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for quick reply.
>
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 17:09:09, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

>>> Certainly possible - always happy to support new device types.
>>>
>>> We have some resolvers in there already, and based on a hundred mile
>>> view this is similar...  From what I recall those interfaces are
>>> pretty messy right now, but looking at it another way, that gives us
>>> more flexibility to mess around with them to ensure they cover your part as well.
>> I'll rephrase this having taken a look. The current resolver drivers conform to our standard interface in now way whatsoever.  So whatever you do, don't copy them!  Along with meters drivers, those are the areas we haven't cleaned up at all yet (also a smattering of other drivers in terrible state for one reason or another elsewhere)
>
> Jonathan, Thanks for the pointers
>
> I did not know about IIO interface so far.
> Will study it and come up with some patches
> for my device based on this interface.
Excellent.  Please do read the abi docs carefully in particular.
They don't cover this type of device, but will give you pointers
on what abi makes sense.  Posting that abi even before your driver
is ready to linux-iio will get that conversation underway (can often
take much longer to pin down interface naming etc
than reviewing/fixing the actual code!)

Thanks,

Jonathan