Re: g_hid and hid-multitouch compatibility?

Hi Pablo

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 00:08, Pablo Cases <pablo.cases@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thanks for the response. It is my ignorance that should be excused as I have shown/will show that I am the novice with regards to USB HID and multitouch in this forum :)
> I´ll continue interleaving additional comments below.
>
> -Pablo

Thanks for the explaination. I didn't knew that it was possible to do
such things. Linux is really a wonderful world ;-)

>> > Q: Has anyone successfully completed a g_hid <-> hid-multitouch
>> setup? And is there a description somewhere of such setup?
>>
>> I don't think so, hid-multitouch is really new (since 2.6.38, and was
>> not very generic at this time).
>>
>> > Q: Is the Windows 7 multitouch USB HID descriptor the correct one to
>> use also for Linux hid-multitouch? Or is some tweaking necessary?
>>
>> Normally, any valid Windows 7 multitouch USB HID descriptor can be
>> handled by hid-multitouch.
>> But it's more the events that are sent to hid-multitouch that will
>> tell if your device is compatible or not.
>>

>> > DETAILED DESCRIPTION BELOW
>> > The device is a Linux device that uses g_hid (currently 2.6.37
>> kernel) and a USB HID Report Descriptor for multitouch using two-touch
>> parallel mode according to Microsoft document
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487437.
>> >
>> > On the host (ubuntu 11.04, 2.6.38 kernel) I register dynamically
>> according to the description at http://lii-
>> enac.fr/en/architecture/linux-input/multitouch-ubuntu-howto.html. Using
>> the events/rdesc files in debugfs on Ubuntu 11.04 I have validated the
>> parsing of the report descriptor and the input reports.
>>
>> This is really a bad idea to use these howto with ubuntu 11.04 ATM. I
>> didn't found the time to update this stuff, and this branch can not be
>> used in ubuntu 11.04 (it contains code for 2.6.35 only, and there were
>> changes in the hid layer after). If you only used the part "How to add
>> your device to hid-multitouch from the user space" without updating
>> your hid module, then it's as if you have'nt done anything (the
>> generic hid module can not autodetect multitouch devices).
>
> Currently I am using the hid-multitouch code as existing in the source distribution of a 2.6.38 Ubuntu 11.04 fetched through apt-get. In the page referred to above I have only used the "How to add your device to hid-multitouch from the user space", and not the 2.6.35 related parts.

So there are no autodetection in your kernel.

> Ok, so for autodetection of multitouch devices to work I need to update the hid-multitouch module to a newer version (than was available in 2.6.38), preferably head on a git master branch somewhere? Another option is to add a static configuration field in hid-multitouch and hid-ids.h for my USB device's VID/PID. But then again, maybe it's better to do that on the latest available code as well?

Autodetection is not available upstream too, sorry. The latest
available code is on Jiri's tree. I'll try to maintain a bunch of
patches to backport the work done on hid-multitouch since 2.6.35 on
http://lii-enac.fr/en/architecture/linux-input/multitouch-howto.html#hid-multitouch
but I'm a little late for the backports right now.

Jiri's tree is at
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jikos/hid.git;a=summary

>> > Example multitouch input report from
>> /sys/kernel/debug/hid/0003:xxxx:yyyy.0002/events looks correct:
>> > report (size 14) (numbered) =  05 03 00 a5 12 32 0e 03 01 99 14 32 0e
>> 02
>> > Digitizers.TipSwitch = 1
>> > Digitizers.InRange = 1
>> > Digitizers.ContactID = 0
>> > GenericDesktop.X = 4773
>> > GenericDesktop.Y = 3634
>> > Digitizers.TipSwitch = 1
>> > Digitizers.InRange = 1
>> > Digitizers.ContactID = 1
>> > GenericDesktop.X = 5273
>> > GenericDesktop.Y = 3634
>> > Digitizers.ContactCount = 2
>> >

>> Most of the time, the problematic part comes from the releases. But
>> it's a good start.
>
> With "releases" I assume you mean the finger removal from the touch surface, like a "touch-up" event? I have not implemented that part yet, but our Microsoft contact informed us that for Windows 7 compatibility it should be reported as a final touch report with
> TipSwitch = 0
> InRange = 1
> Is this applicable to hid-multitouch too?

Exactly, I meant touch-up. Your behavior is applicable to hid-multitouch.

Once registering your device with hid-multitouch, you can choose a
class that controls how optimized your driver will be. Normally, the
MT_CLS_DEFAULT class will work with any Win 7 compliant device
(crossing fingers).

Then, you can optimize it by looking for the classes that have
MT_QUIRK_VALID_IS_INRANGE (or adding a new one). In the same time, you
can also optimize the way your device actually does the match between
slots (from 0 to N-1 with N the maximum contact count of your device)
and the tracking_id reported by the device (or the position in the hid
report).
For dual touches only devices, the differences are not big, but we
prefer to optimize things all the time ;-)

>> > The first touch in the report is correctly presented both on Windows
>> and on Ubuntu 11.04 (using ENAC's mtdiag tool with a minor tweak to
>> display data from all devices not just multitouch ones). I can see in
>> the debugfs files that the data for the second touch data is correctly
>> transferred and interpreted (see above), but the mapping to the linux
>> input system seems a bit strange though (see below). My guess is that I
>> have not been correctly registered as a multitouch device. I'm assuming
>> this also because I cannot see any activity from the hid-multitouch
>> module other than it being initialized when I connect my device
>> (probably another reason for the needed tweak in mtdiag above).
>> >
>> > Example mapping from /sys/kernel/debug/hid/0003:xxxx:yyyy.0002/rdesc
>> that does not look entirely correct for the second touch:
>> > Digitizers.TipSwitch ---> Key.Touch
>> > Digitizers.InRange ---> Key.ToolPen
>> > Digitizers.ContactID ---> Absolute.Misc
>> > GenericDesktop.X ---> Absolute.X
>> > GenericDesktop.Y ---> Absolute.Y
>> > Digitizers.TipSwitch ---> Key.Touch
>> > Digitizers.InRange ---> Key.ToolRubber
>> > Digitizers.ContactID ---> Absolute.?
>> > GenericDesktop.X ---> Absolute.Z
>> > GenericDesktop.Y ---> Absolute.Rx
>>
>> This means that your device is handled by the generic usbhid and not
>> hid-multitouch.
>
> That is what troubles me. I can see in the host's dmesg that "generic-usb" seems to be the driver chosen for my device when it is connected to the host. And according to your comment above I might not have correctly registered my device in hid-multitouch which would be the source of the problem...
>
> As a side note; I have sprinkled printk() here and there hid-multitouch.c and hid-core.c. While running the code I can only see that mt_init() and mt_exit() are called during module loading/unloading; never do I see any evidence of that the probing or mapping functions in hid-multitouch are used, only the generic usb parts are used for parsing the report descriptors and input reports.

Yep, hid-multitouch does not handle your device. There is currently no
user-space way to tell usbhid (the generic) not to handle a device.
You'll have to add your VID-PID to the hid_have_special_driver list
(in hid-core.c) to disable generic usb hid handling for your device.
You can check the latest patches adding a specific device to
hid-multitouch to have some examples.

> Could you point me to the location in the code where the decision is taken to use the hid-multitouch driver for a hid-multitouch supported device? I'm guessing it is somewhere in hid-core.c but I have not been able to pinpoint the location exactly. I could use this location as a start point to backtrace why we're not considered as a hid-multitouch supported device.

it's just above ;-) hid_have_special_driver in hid-core.c

Cheers,
Benjamin