Re: [RFC] Reporting "orientation changed" event

On 05/09/2011 08:47 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Yes, so the accelerometer driver should (in-kernel) know that a coarse
> orientation event has occured and then send an appropriate uevent to
> userspace indiciating that it has new data.

OK, so substituting udev for acpid, but otherwise leaving the
input-polldev device alone.  That certainly sounds nice to me, though
I'm not sure where the "dreadful / don't do that" advice is directed
as the handling in userspace will be virtual identical (moving the
dbus-send from the acpid event file into a udev rule).

> I'm going to NAK anything that reports "Coarse orientation change"
> to userspace without providing any context.

Just to be clear: there's no kernel code to NAK here.  The acpid hook
is raw, and in userspace.  It's not clean, but it's also a single-device
fixup: seems to me to be pretty much exactly what apcid is for, no?

Andy