Re: Driver problems: t213 on i8042 port

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12:54AM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 01:10 -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > > [re: xf86 driver for t213 device]
> >
> > Any chance you could post a link to the sources?
>
> I can:
>
> http://www.tabletkiosk.de/files//linux-general/drivers/testing/touchkit-linux-2.2.0.tar.bz2
>
> There is a thread about this driver on their site as well:
>
> http://www.tabletkiosk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103
>
> It doesn't compile at all against current X.org; I can send you my diff
> for that but it's all X.org ABI stuff - nothing to do with the actual
> t213 protocol. However, some of this might be moot anyway:
>
> > You can't simply allowing binding to SERIO_8042 as it will cause
> > touchkit213 to fight with the standard psmouse driver. What needs to be
> > done is to write a sub-driver (or protocol driver) for psmouse module
> > which would probe the devices and automatically select proper protocol.
> >
> > Please take a look at drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c and friends
> > there.
>
> Ah, ok, that makes sense then - originally when I was trying to make
> sense of this hardware it kept coming through as a PS/2 mouse but of
> course X.org went slightly nuts with that configuration.
>
> As an aside, I wonder if this speaks to some of the problems I was
> having with the X.org driver. I was simply attaching serio_raw to serio4
> as per the instructions; however, if this "fights" (as you describe it)
> with the ps2 mouse, that could explain why it would mostly work but then
> go weird.
>
> I had a look at psmouse-base.c, and I can see what you mean: also,
> there's a "Touchkit" driver for eGalax, and the protocol there looks
> identical. Weirdly, this isn't working - even though looking at the code
> the detect() function doesn't seem to need a manual trigger.

Touchkit initialization sequence looks similar to the one used in X
driver. You probably want to boot with i8042.debug (or activate it via
/sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug), load psmouse module and see what
kind of response you are getting from the device.

Also, have you tried forcing touchkit protocol by doing:

	echo "touchkit" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/protocol

Thanks.

--
Dmitry