Re: [RFC] Adding BTN_TOOL_TOUCH to input.h

On 11/27/2010 11:32 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
OUCH. We need to fix this _now_. We can not allow reporting resolutions
in random units. Since we started with unit/mm we have to keep it and
if it gives issues we can think about adding other units later on, but
for everyone.
I understand your concerns, but this will make this feature useless for the
8 tablet models I was aiming it at. Most of them have 2000 LPI resolution.

The thing is, I suspect, there is basicly very little to none real devices
correctly specifying their resolution in the report descriptors. Plus almost
no one uses the resolution field in input_absinfo currently and especially
for generic processing (as opposed to working with a specific device). Even
more, I have failed to find any noticeable amount of device drivers filling
it in, but it could be my fault of course.

So, I think, now is the best time to standardize on this and do real
changes.

Sincerely,
Nick