Re: [RFC] Adding BTN_TOOL_TOUCH to input.h

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:55:56PM -0600, Chris Bagwell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:40:00PM -0800, Ping Cheng wrote:

> >> Good question.
> >>
> >> BTN_TOOL_FINGER is used for touchpad or trackpad, or whichever term
> >> that works for you. It indicates a relative cursor movement. The touch
> >> screen needs to translate the (x,y) events into absolute movement.
> >> That's why none of those touchscreen drivers use BTN_TOOL_FINGER so
> >> far.
> >>

> > BTN_TOOL_FINGER and the new BTN_TOOL_TOUCH convey the same data to the
> > userspace, namely that there is a finger on the owrking surface, as
> > oopsed to pen, mouse, lens or something else. It does not dictate how
> > exactly the data should be used, although right now we have heuristic to
> > decide the class of the device we are dealing with.
>
> I've a small clarification for readers that might not be aware.  For
> BTN_TOOL_FINGER, its still used to mean a kinda of "in proximity of
> surface" and BTN_TOUCH is used when actually touching touchpad.  For

BTN_TOUCH means something (we do not specify what) touches working
surface.

> touchpad, those two things probably should follow each other... but as
> an example the synaptics driver only sets BTN_TOOL_FINGER immediately
> but BTN_TOUCH when pressure is over some threshold.  So there is a
> time period when they do not match.

In Synaptics BTN_TOUCH was used for legacy clients not understanding
BTN_TOOL_FINGER/ABS_PRESSURE (read: mousedev) and had arbitrary pressure
thresholds.

> Touchscreens today can only send BTN_TOUCH event... which is a little
> odd but works.
>

> > It looks like that we getting into fuzzy area where it is hard to
> > classify the device solely by its capabilities. Maybe it is time we
> > revisited the topic of adding "flags" or "hint" to the device to
> > describe it's main purpose(s).
> >

> I think the proposed BTN_TOOL_TOUCH is in the same spirit of most
> other BTN_TOOL_*'s.
>
> We seem comfortable that userland wants to know difference between pen
> and eraser tools.  The only thing unique they bring to table is a type
> of resolution (fine tip vs. blunt tip) as well as an indication of
> tool switching.

And the expected action when you actually using the tool.

> I'm not sure we needed 8 tools to express resolution concepts or tool
> switching concepts but we do have them.
>
> To me, the BTN_TOOL_TOUCH fits in just fine with this.  It says its
> low resolution like both BTN_TOOL_ERASER and BTN_TOOL_FINGER say to
> different degrees.  But it also says that, unlike BTN_TOOL_FINGER, it
> has touchscreen visibility going for it to replace missing
> in-proximity concept and effectively increase its resolution... and so
> you do not need to revert to relative emulation.

Huh? I want to reiterate that I do not see any difference between
proposed BTN_TOOL_TOUCH and existing BTN_TOOL_FINGER - both indicate
that a finger either touches or is in proximity of the working surface.

The only difference between tablet, touchcsreen and touchpad is how we
react to the same data (i.e. relative/absolute movement; pointer
tracking or not, etc).

--
Dmitry