Re: ir-core and default IR maps

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 10:07:25AM -0500, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Em 08-11-2010 11:34, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx escreveu:
> >> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> >
> >> I only want the keymaps for remotes that are bundled with the hardware
> >> to be included in their kernel driver. All other maps would ship in
> >> the user space package. The maps for the bundled remotes would also be
> >> duplicated in the user space package.
> >
> > All current RC maps in kernel are for the bundled hardware. There are, currently,
> > 86 keymaps there. To be consistent, we should break the dibcom tables (there are 2
> > "big" tables there, that supports lots of different remotes that came from dib0700 driver.
> > There are also several dvb-usb drivers that still use their own RC keycodes bundled
> > inside the driver's source code. So, we have 100+ keycode tables in kernel.
> >
> > This seems too much to keep synced between kernel and the userspace application.
>
> You could write a script to do this. Use the user space versions as
> master and then generate .h files that get included by the various
> receivers. Regenerate on each release and send a single delta to
> Linus.
>
> >> To achieve plug and play at least one of four choices has to happen:
> >> 1) maps for bundled remotes in the kernel drivers
> >> 2) the distros always install the IR remotes map package
> >> 3) every app that could possibly use IR adds the map package as a
> >> dependency (may not work for IR keyboards)
> >
> > We don't have any IR keyboards right now at RC core. Do you know about any?
>
> They exist, here are a few. I've only used them in hotel rooms so I'm
> not sure how they work.
> Some of these are probably IRDA.
>
> http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15326&variation=
> http://www.markertek.com/Structured-Premise-Wiring/Infrared-Extenders-Receivers/Amino/IR-KEYBOARD.xhtml
> http://www.abesofmaine.com/itemB.do?item=SKIRKEYBOARD&id=SKIRKEYBOARD&l=FROOGLE
> http://pcmonde.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5&product_id=841

I have this one in my possession, with intentions to add support for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Remote-Keyboard-Windows-ZV1-00004/dp/B000AOAAN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289230388&sr=8-1

There's an lirc-mod-mce sourceforge project that support{ed,s} it. Been on
my TODO list for a while to get that integrated into the IR core, probably
as an additional IR protocol decoder that registers its own keyboard and
mouse input devices, rather than piggy-backing on a receiver's remote
device.

> >> 4) We figure out some way of implementing the Windows search for
> >> drivers dialog. This could be possible with a udev 'catch all' script.
> >

> > I like (3). I also think that (4) is a good long-term solution. Some distros
> > like Fedora and Knoppix are adding some auto-search stuff (like printers,
> > codec drivers, unknown commands, etc).

Yeah, this is part of DeviceKit in Fedora-land, iirc. Or some other
BumpyCapsKit. We could certainly add a trigger for installing v4l-utils if
we see an rc class device.

> > I doubt I would have any time to work on (4), but, it shouldn't be hard to write
> > generic auto-catch udev application that can open a dialog window at the windows
> > manager, pointing that a newly plugged device requires some additional userspace
> > package to be installed, in order to work. Of course, it will need to have a way
> > to specify the command line to install a package (as it will be distro-specific).
> > I think that it would be possible to have a config file that could explain the
> > hardware/package dependencies, and the command lines needed to install an
> > application.
>
> The difficulty of getting all of the distros to build this is why I
> thought it was easier to leave the bundled maps in the drivers until
> the distros are ready.

True, certain fairly popular distros (Ubuntu) apparently don't even have
v4l-utils available in their package repositories yet...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxx