Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 04:34:38PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > You are clearly right; userspace has to tell the driver when it is okay
> > > to suspend.  My point was that we already have a mechanism in the PM
> > > core for doing this -- assuming the driver is written appropriately (to
> > > assume that it should try to suspend whenever possible).  We shouldn't
> > > need to add another mechanism.
> >
> > OK, so how is a graphics driver going to figure out it should suspend when the
> > button is pressed in the example above?
>
> The graphics driver doesn't have to figure that out at all.  It merely
> has to suspend the display whenever it can, i.e., whenever the usage
> count drops to 0 (or equivalently, whenever the runtime_idle callback
> runs).

That makes sense for drivers that do very agressive PM, but fails for
cases when you have bigger timeouts. My phone shuts off its display
automatically after 30 seconds or a minute but I have an option of
pressing a button which causes it to shut off immediately.

> It's up to userspace to make sure that the display's usage count goes
> to 0 at the proper time, i.e., when the button is pressed.  Contrary to
> what you wrote above, we _do_ have an interface for this at the PM core
> level: power/control.

I think that while using power/control is a _very_ good option "auto"
and "on" are not enough, we need 3 states: "on", "off" and "auto".

Thanks.

--
Dmitry