Re: Report ID problem with HID-RAW interface usage

On 07/02/2010 02:46 AM, Amit Nagal wrote:
1. Your device has lots of reports, which all take the same type of data.
Yes . the device has lots of inputs and output reports .
the report values are<command>  <  response>  only .

2. Each report differs _only_ in its length, but the data is the same. For
example:
        1. If you want to send 5 bytes to the device, you use report 1, which
is 5 bytes long
        2. If you want to send 10 bytes to the device, you use report 2,
which is 10 bytes long.
        3. if you want to send 20 bytes to the device, you use report 3,
which is 20 bytes long.
        etc.
Yes. exactly . data  payload len is the defining parameter to
determine the report N to use .

I'm going to challenge this. I looked at the report descriptor you attached, and I don't think it really works the way you think it does. What it looks like to me is separate reports expecting separate data, not a bunch of reports all expecting the same data but of different lengths. What you describe would be fairly non-standard, IMO.

What I would suggest for the short-term is this:
With the device you have, send data based on the HID descriptor you attached to the last email. I mean manually. In the case of your descriptor: if the report length you want to send is <= 5, use report 1; If it's <= 9, use report 2; if it's <= 13, use report 3; if it's <= 17, use report 4; if it's <= 25, use report 5, etc.

This will allow you to say for sure that it works the way you think it does. If it does, then you're right, (and I'm wrong :) ). I'm betting though, that it won't, and that each report is expecting different types of data than all the other reports.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to the rest of you guys?

Alan.