Re: RFC: touch event clarification

Hi Rafi,

> Dmitry: would you care to clarify the meaning of the basic touch events?  It
> might also be helpful to add more comments to input.h or add something to the
> Documents directory.
>

> My current understanding:
> BTN_TOOL_FINGER: touch pad single finger

Correct.

> BTN_TOOL_(DOUBLE|TRIPLE|QUAD)TAP: touch pad 2,3 and 4 fingers

Tapping with more than one finger, These events are tailored to
touchpads that can only report numberf or contacts but not discrete
coordinates for every contact,

> BTN_TOUCH: touch screen single finger

Right.

> BTN_[0-N]: not really for fingers.

Right, these are miscellaneous buttons.

> Are the taps at all appropriate for touch screens?

I do not think tap makes sense for touchscreens, the act of touching
should cause "select" or "action" event. Unlike other devices with
touchscreens you do not need to track movement of a pointer, your finger
ios a pointer and when you touch you mena to perform an action. At least
this is the model I'd operate with.

>  How should the wacom
> non-screen tablets be treated, should they act like touch pads both for absolute
> and relative modes?

Yes, since they are physically separate from treh screem tracking
pointer makes sense for tablets.

> Should there be any difference between pad and screen devices with respect to
> multitouch events (currently, I'm assuming not)?

Umm... if you are referring to gestures then I think they should exibit
similar behavior.

--
Dmitry