Question about /dev/hidraw*

I am going to be developing several USB devices and am interested in utilizing the '/dev/hidraw*' interface to make it easier, i.e. don't need to write drivers.

I have a few questions about the /dev/hidraw interface:

1. Is there a list of best practices and/or example for using /dev/hidraw?

2. Will a vendor-specific HID always have a /dev/hidraw available (provided kernel is built for it)?

3. For an HID that identifies itself as a keyboard (for example), is there a way to not have it function as a normal keyboard (with the input subsystem) yet have access to it via the /dev/hidraw? I tried unbinding it, but then the /dev/hidraw went away also.

4. I did some reading of the HID driver source code and looks like if there was some way to clear the HID_CLAIMED_INPUT bit, that would keep the input subsystem from processing the event. Is there a reason that something like that could/should not be done?

Thanks,

Mark Butsch