Re: private ioctls in input driver

Hi Dmitry,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 02:21:40PM +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:
>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
>> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi Trilok,

>> > You are right, event devices only allow standard ioctl. What kind of
>> > ictl are you considering? Normally device-specific controls are done via
>> > sysfs attached to the parent device (see atkbd, psmouse, etc).
>>
>> sysfs might good for purpose when you can associate one file per
>> value, so for more data we can't simply create one file per the data.
>> Say five fingers touch data (I know we have MT_* support but here it
>> is just for example) , say id, x, y, z etc., per finger, then we can't
>> create one file for each of them.
>
> Maybe use configfs if sysfs is not suitable? I am not sure.
>
> I would like to not-have driver-specific ioctls in evdev/input core but
> rather keep them with device/driver itself. Input core should only have
> stuff that makes sense for multiple devices.

I mean on the similar line only, we won't add any driver-specific
ioctls in evdev/input core, but just transfer their control to resp.
device/driver itself, may be similar in the line of how v4l2 does.

--
---Trilok Soni
http://triloksoni.wordpress.com