Re: Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse HWheel quirk

On 04/14/2009 11:09 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Jiri Slaby wrote:
>
>>> I have an Apple bluetooth mouse (info below) and have noticed that the
>>> horizontal scrolling is inverted. I've noticed some bug reports from
>>> others getting the same behavior. I looked at drivers/hid/hid-apple.c
>>> , and around line 444 I see that APPLE_INVERT_HWHEEL gets ORed in. I
>>> tried to trace the origins of the code, but I lost track of it before
>>> 8c19a515, where you moved Apple quirks to their own file. Is this
>>> quirk definitely correct?
>>> Mouse's entry in /proc/bus/input/devices
>>> I: Bus=0005 Vendor=05ac Product=030c Version=0200
>>> I'm running Gentoo, vanilla 2.6.29 with no patches.
>> I have no idea whether the inversion is correct or not. Or where the
>> information comes from :).
>> It was added in
>> cb3fecc2f29056e89658e7eb371e7f9be66cda6d
>> by Jiri Kosina, maybe he may shed some light on it?
>
> I created this patch based solely on a bugreport, I didn't physically own
> the hardware at that time.
>
> I think I have it somewhere. I will try to find it tomorrow or the day
> after tomorrow and verify whether the quirk is really needed. Maybe the
> original bug reporter messed up, or he had different hardware revision.

Any news here?

I think this is what you hit too, Andres?

Interesting part from the Andres' email follows:

I have an Apple Mighty Mouse. This is how it looks with 'cat
/proc/bus/input/devices'

I: Bus=0005 Vendor=05ac Product=030c Version=0200
N: Name="Mighty Mouse"

And the trackball on it has it x axis inverted.

Ive searched about this problem and found a Linux kernel mailing list
conversation where this error maybe had raised. A guy but a similar
mouse (also a mightymouse), but different ID (0x1000 instead of 0x030c),
was told to invert the x axis in order to have his 0x1000 mighty mouse
working with the wrong ID: 0x030c instead of adding a while new device.
Probably, inverting the trackball for the rest of us with the right id.

I will quote the mailing list post to you: