Re: Global /dev/input/events device

Hi Dmitry,

> > so I am working on creating a replacement for the kernel RFKILL input
> > support with a proper daemon in userspace that allows us to implement
> > proper policy support for RFKILL soft switch event buttons.
> >
> > What I am missing is a /dev/input/events device (similar to the mice
> > device) that combines all events into one to make it easier for
> > application if they really don't care which actual physical or virtual
> > device created that event. Is it possible that we create something like
> > this?
> >

> I really don't think that creating such device is in out best interest.
> We just went through this with /dev/input/mice and X using legacy
> keybpard driver. Inevitably people start trying to remove certain
> devices from the multiplexed stream coming up with crazy and fragile
> exclusion schemes that only bring more problems in the long run.

I understand that argument, but I don't care about that specific detail
at all. The fact which device send the event is meaningless to me. I
would have to require a filter/mask on that device to be only woken up
for certain event I care about, but that is true for all of them. It is
a major power saving requirement anyway.

> Just have your daemon listen to hotplug/dbus events and select() from
> all devices you are interested in. Then it will be easier later on to
> ignore some devices users feel should not be taken into account.

So I see such a common/global device as pretty useful for simplifying
applications that don't care about the details of multi-device
differences.

Regards

Marcel