Re: suspend / hibernate nomenclature

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:13:49AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> After reviewing the platform drivers in ACPI, it appears few of them
> know whether KEY_SLEEP corresponds to suspend or hibernate, and
> KEY_SUSPEND seems to be used for hibernate. Basically, it's a mess.

KEY_SUSPEND has always been pretty clearly used for hibernate for, well,
forever. I don't think the distinction is a useful one. How many
machines are going to have both a sleep and a suspend key?

This is a user-visible change in behaviour. I think we're too entrenched
for it to make much of a difference now. Adding a #define KEY_HIBERNATE
KEY_SUSPEND sounds fine to me, but I really don't think we need anything
more.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx