Logitech MX5000 extra keys

Heya,

I own another keyboard, the Logitech MX5000[1], which is a
keyboard/mouse combo, with a USB dongle (which can switch between HID
and HCI/Bluetooth modes).

Some keys aren't reported at all through the input layer, but there is
code in the mx5000-tools[2] to make those keys work through hiddev.

See eventin():
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/mx5000tools/trunk/mx5000d/input_translate.c?rev=15&view=auto

There's a bit more scary code to enable the keys in the library part of
the module.

I was wondering what the best course of action would be to make this
code work out-of-the-box. Would it be better to write a HAL addon, and
do all this work in user-space, or would it be more useful to have
directly in the kernel?

Obviously, if the latter, I'd appreciate a bit of guidance on where I
should add the code.

Cheers

[1]: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-Laser-967558-0403/dp/B000AY5ZIS
[2]: http://home.gna.org/mx5000tools/