Re: proposal on runtime power management in hid

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> I am looking at runtime power management for usb hid devices. There's a
> problem with hidraw. As we have no idea, what goes on between a device
> and users of hidraw, it seems to me that such a device should not be
> subject to runtime power management without the user's explicit
> agreement. But that would be only a kludge. Therefore this is my first
> draft of an API to cleanly allow this.

Hi Oliver,

isn't this just a little bit way too complex?

I think the simple and working solution would be never suspedning devices
that have interface open through hidraw, unless user explicitly allows
this through respective power/autosuspend setting in sysfs (which will by
default be set to 'off' for HID devices anyway, right?).

Thanks for looking into this.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs