Re: ThinkPad input device IDs

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess it used "isa1600" because it talks to the EC over LPC3B port IO, and
> the ports are in the 1600-161F range, over the LPC bus.

I see... But this is an ad-hoc port assignment by IBM and other
machines may map different devices to port 1600h. Is it presently
possible to write a udev rule that will match the (mainline) hdaps
input device but not random junk at port 1600 on other machines?

>> The out-of-tree tp_smapi version of hdaps followed the thinkpad-acpi
>> convention so it now conflicts with mainline hdaps. Which should I
>> follow?
>
> I think it is better to use the BUS_HOST convention for this, since HDAPS
> really is just one of the services on LPC3B even if LPC3B really *is*
> BUS_ISA, ports 1600-161F.  Dmitry would know better, though.  Dmitry?

For what it's worth, I should note that tp_smapi's hdaps input IDs
were introduced in July 2007 [1] and are by now in widespread use by
udev rules since they're needed for the reduced-interrupts mode of
hdaps+hdapsd [2].

  Shem

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hdaps.devel/1040
[2] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS#Userspace_daemon)