Re: [rft]power management for usbtouch

Am Freitag 27 Juni 2008 23:28:30 schrieb Ville Syrjälä:
> > > Which will also fail the open() itself. Isn't that bad? That is, you can
> > > suspend an already open device without the users the device noticing
> > > but you can't open it if you happen to suspend it at just the right time.
> > > That doesn't strike me as good behaviour for a driver.
> >
> > Root can also unbind the driver.
>
> Sure, but in that case the behavior is consistent ie. the device
> disappears.

Sorry, I chose a bad example. Root can do stupid things like sending
control requests that change the configuration, setting or address of
a device. The effects are undefined and will differ from driver to driver
and open or closedness.
Forcibly suspending a device is a testing feature. If root abuses it,
he'll have to take the consequences.

	Regards
		Oliver