Re: Sleeping inside spinlock in force feedback input event code

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:52:36PM +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> (Added Jiri Kosina due to the hid problem I describe near the end)
>>
>> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>>> Hi Anssi,

>>> I think something the patch below is what is needed. EV_FF handling is
>>> already atomic because of event_lock (and it is here to stay), but
>>> uploading does not need to be atomic, only installing into effect
>>> table needs the lock. Any change you could test the patch? I dont have
>>> any FF devices.
>> It seems to be ok, but not enough. The hid-pidff.c driver also waits on
>> pidff_playback_pid(). However, I now see that the wait is probably only
>> necessary because just the report pointer is passed to
>> usbhid_submit_report(). But fixing it properly seems non-trivial (to me).
>>
>> E.g. the problem sequence is:
>>
>> - playback_pid() gets called to stop effect 1.
>> - it sets control_report->field[X]->value[X] = 1;
>> - it submits control_report
>> - thus usbhid_submit_report() stores a pointer to the report
>> - playback_pid() gets immediately called again for effect 2.
>> - it sets control_report->field[X]->value[X] = 2;
>> - thus the previous report hasn't yet been submitted, but the report
>> content has already changed, thus effect 1 is never stopped.
>>
>> Any idea how this should be solved properly?
>>

> It looks like there is a common issue with HID FF devices. Pid driver
> tries to handle it by inserting waits till the control queue is
> cleared, other drivers are completely ignorant of this problem...
> I guess we need to implement a queue of events to be played and put it
> in hid-ff.c so it is available for all hid ff drivers.

With other HID FF drivers than hid-pidff we actually want to skip to the
last one, though (the report contains complete device state, so skipping
old ones does not matter). But indeed of course we still shouldn't be
modifying the just-submitted reports since hid_output_report() could be
reading them at the same time.

--
Anssi Hannula