Re: input-evdev patch adding option to override XDevice type Atom, option to force EV_REL events being treated as absolute values.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> I think that if EV_ABS for a device is the one that really makes sense
> and the device sends EV_REL in error we should just adjust the type of
> events right in USBHID driver so incorrect events don't propagate any
> further. If hovewer preference of EV_ABS vs EV_REL is just something
> xf86-evdev wants just because of its internal architecture then the
> quirk belongs to xf86-evdev itself.
> Jiri, apparently some 3Dconnexion devices send EV_REL which makes
> xf86-evdev not too happy. What do you think?

Exactly, I fully agree with Dmitry here.

We can easily fix up the device report descriptor in the kernel code, so
that it would send EV_ABS instead of EV_REL events. We do similar fixups
(not this particular one) for quite a few devices already.

The real question here is whether it is really buggy device, or just
EV_REL interpretation makes more sense so X input driver, but the device
itself doesn't send buggy data. Could you please elaborate a little bit
more?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina