Re: event devices not released

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Erik Slagter wrote:

Negative ;-)
A few moments ago I rebooted with HAL disabled and without going into X. I
unplugged the hub that has the mouse and keyboard attached and plugged it back
in again, a few times. Once again every time higher event handlers were
assigned.

That is OK. But you shouldn't run into the situation when you run out of the free evdev devices.

I was under the impression that increasing event device handlers implied that it would run out of them eventually.

Are you saying that event handlers are normally ever increasing and that they are being reused when the upper limit has been reached?

In that case I'd probably best test this with a decreased EVDEV_MINORS value.

How is hald triggering the out-of-devices condition then? Do you mean that if the condition occurs, restarting hald would free up the "removed" event devices?