Re: Load modules in initrd

On 19.06.2024 14:51, Carolina Jubran wrote:

Hello!

I need to load RDMA modules in initrd, and I have a systemd service for that. However, when we start running in the initrd, the initrd-cleanup.service kills the service.

You already posted this in systemd list and you still failed to explain how kernel module is related to user space program.

The Dracut arrangement only installs the service if the necessary hardware is present.
I tried to add dependencies to the systemd service "Before=initrd.target" to ensure that the service loads the drivers in initrd.
Unfortunately, this was inconsistent; sometimes we load in initrd and sometimes we don't.

Then I discovered that adding a "$SYSTEMCTL -q --root "$initdir" add-wants initrd.target <our-service>" in the module-setup.sh helps with the issue, and the driver consistently runs in initrd.
My question is, how does "add-wants initrd.target" fit into the picture with the initramfs image and systemd?
Do I need to make any further changes to my systemd service, or is building the image using dracut sufficient?

Thank you,
Carolina Jubran