problem with install_items

Hi.  I am using gentoo and dracut 0.51-r2 and I get a permission
denied error for lines like this
install_items+= /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf

The file exists, is owned by root and world  readable and all
directories above are world read/executable.  I have been using this
for a while, it seems a problem with a fairly recent update, but I
don't know how to work around this one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?