dracut generated initramfs seems to ignore kernel cmdline args

Hi,

I am facing some in my eyes strange behaviour and am not sure how to
continue or where do step in for debugging.

I am on an fresh up to date gentoo installation with systemd and an
initramfs generated by the gentoo tool genkernel. The generated
initramfs has some drawbacks thats why I want to create one by dracut.

The root filesystem is a btrfs inside of luks. To create the initramfs I use

$ dracut -a "btrfs crypt systemd" '' $(uname -r)

In the dracut.conf I only have set hostonly="yes" and nothing else.

The kernel commandline is created by grub2 via

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX+=" rd.luks=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX+=" rd.luks.uuid=luks-a0a3e847-56d1-4314-864c-fd5c99697090"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX+=" rd.debug"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX+=" rd.shell"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX+=" root=LABEL=pool rootfstype=btrfs"

During boot I can see the kernel commandline and also verify that the
configuration is passed to the kernel.

Now comes the strange behaviour: Obviously the initramfs is loaded by
the kernel as systemd is started (the rootfs is not yed decrypted,
systemd can only come from initramfs). Sadly I am not asked by dracut
for the password of the luks device but systemd is asking for the
password coming from /etc/crypttab.

While experimenting why not I found the rd.break command line argument
which should drop me into a shell or something before systemd is
started. This is not happening. To me it looks like all the rd.* args
are just ignored or not interpreted or maybe the dracut scripts don't
get executed or whatever. There is just no output from dracut...

What I am now asking for is an entry point where to continue in
debugging why the setup is not working.

Thanx for helping me,
Steffen

/etc/fstab:
/dev/sda2               /boot           vfat            noauto,noatime  0 0
/dev/sda3               none            swap            sw              0 0
LABEL=pool              /               btrfs
defaults,auto,noatime,nodiratime,discard,subvol=root         0 0
LABEL=pool              /home           btrfs
defaults,auto,noatime,nodiratime,discard,subvol=home,nofail  0 0

/etc/crypttab:
root    /dev/sda4       -