Re: dmraid - possible boot fail due to mdraid rules?

On 09.01.2015 13:50, Miroslav Shaltev wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i have a question regarding the dmraid module.
>
> On a centos 7 system (but i am afraid the problem is distro independent)
>
> kernel: 3.10.0-123.13.2.el7.x86_64
> dracut: dracut-033-161.el7.x86_64
> storage: dmraid 1 with lvm on top
>
> with a root on a dmraid device, some mdraid udev rules get pulled into
> the initramfs.
>
> The output of dracut -M
>
> bash i18n network ifcfg drm plymouth dm dmraid kernel-modules lvm
> resume rootfs-block terminfo udev-rules biosdevname systemd usrmount
> base fs-lib shutdown
>
> gives no hint about that. However
>
> grep -r "64-md-raid.rules"  dracut/modules.d/*
>
> dracut/modules.d/90dmraid/module-setup.sh: inst_rules 64-md-raid.rules
>
> dracut/modules.d/90mdraid/module-setup.sh: inst_rules 64-md-raid.rules
>
> Due to the mdraid rules, the actual dmraid device cannot be activated,
> as a result the /dev/mapper links are pointing to wrong devices and the
> boot fails.
>
> Commenting out the line in dracut/modules.d/90dmraid/module-setup.sh
> allows me to create bootable initramfs images.
>
> Could it be, that the line in dracut/modules.d/90dmraid/module-setup.sh
> was introduced just by a mistake or should i fill a bug report?
>
> Cheers,
> miroslav

Oh wow.. actually, that dates back to commit b2a843b

$ git show b2a843b4
commit b2a843b471931a8686fffc76cd0afeacabdc5b63
Author: Victor Lowther <victor.lowther@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Fri Mar 6 15:26:24 2009 -0600

    Make 90dmraid load the dm-raid udev rules instead of 95udev-rules

And yes, this is a bug. Please file a bug report!

Thanks for your discovery!