Re: Unable to boot with encrypted swap

On Mon, 13 May 2013, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
/dev/ogopogo might not be available at that point in the boot process. I must admit that I don't fully understand the rules that go into udev.

Well, if /dev/ogopogo isn't available then neither is my root filesystem in the same volume group... and I've got bigger problems if that's the case. :-)

I'll fiddle around with this a bit more, but I'm pretty sure it's not just a simple configuration issue. Dracut simply doesn't think I need LUKS in the initramfs, since none of the devices it examines resolves to an fs type of "crypto_LUKS".

And now that I look at that blkid output again, I can see that /dev/ogopogo/swap (which should have that type) is completely missing. Why would that be the case?

To be honest, I don't particularly care if my swap is prepared in the initramfs or later on during boot, so I don't actually *need* LUKS in the initramfs. But if LUKS isn't there, I certainly don't want it the initramfs to wait around for a LUKS device that's never going to appear.

- Michael