Re: [patch 1/3] wait host devs in base module

On 08/18/2012 12:57 AM, Vivek Goyal wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:35:20PM +0800, dyoung@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> each dev in host_devs[] should be waited in initqueue to make sure they
>> are oneline before initqueue finish.
>>
>> Add a new wait_host_devs.sh in base module to make this a generic thing.
>> Because all the devs in fstab lines are also added to host_devs, so no need
>> do same wait in fstab-sys module anymore.
>>
>> Chaowang: add slave devices to host_devs as well.
>
> Why should we wait for slave devices? If slave device does not come up,
> top level device will not come up anyway. So I don't think we should wait
> for slave devices.

Yes, agree. Adding the slaves is only for patch 2/3, ie. is_scsi with
for_each_host_dev. I think I do not fully understand the relations
beteen the master and slave devices of iscsi/multipath/etc.

> Secondly, trying to list slave devices is dangerous as the names you
> seem to be stroing are not persistent and device renaming will hang
> the system.
>
> So whereever you are waiting for a device to come up, make sure you
> are using persistent device name as generated by udev.

Agree too, this is a problem. Looking at the fstab-sys
wait_mount_dev.sh, there's same issue if the dev name in fstab is not
the "persistent device name"

--
Thanks
Dave