Building new initrd with dracut-network packages for iscsi boot.

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding building a new initrd which adds additional modules to the existing initrd.

The environment that I am working in is as follows:

1. that anaconda has completed the install and I prevent the system from rebooting.

2. Anaconda has installed the OS to an iscsi disk.

What I'd like to do now is to add the dracut-network and iscsi modules to the initrd so that when the system reboots it will be able to connect to the remote iscsi target and mount the root device.

I have been working through this for about three weeks now and am stuck at the phase where I can rebuild the initrd with the network modules and iscsi modules.

The installed system contains all the dependency rpms such as: dracut, dracut-kernel, dracut-network, and iscsi-initiator-utils.

While in the anaconda shell I tried the following command:

dracut -v -a iscsi -m network new_initrd.img `uname -r`

Executing this command has two problems:

1. The network option is invalid. I'm wondering if this should be -m dracut-network??

2. This does not add modules to the existing image. But it creates a very minimal initrd.

What I would like is to add the network boot modules to boot from an iscsi root device to the existing initrd.

I would appreciate any help in this matter. Please let me know if I can furnish any further information.

Thanks in advance.
- Vinay