Re: Remove scsi_wait_scan module

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 11:26 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:07 AM, James Bottomley
>> <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > OK, so what these bugs show is the breakage ... basically scsi_wait_scan
>> > isn't really waiting for the scans to complete.  I can fix it in stable
>> > so you can close your bug reports, but if I do, can you also transition
>> > away from using it so I can remove it in 3.5?
>>
>> Is there some other method whereby userspace can sync all driver
>> probing actions?
>
> No,  but then there never really was.  The theory is you know all the
> disks you need (/ /usr and so on) and you just wait for them to appear
> before mounting them and proceeding with boot.
>
>> We won't need scsi_complete_async_scans() after:
>>
>>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=133840132007532&w=2
>>
>> ...but won't initramfs environments still need a way to trigger
>> wait_for_device_probe()?  Something like echo "flush" >
>> /sys/devices/async_probe. and maybe reading that file indicates if
>> some async probing is still in-flight?
>
> Why?  The job of an initramfs is to mount root.  All it has to do is
> wait for root to appear via udev and then proceed.  The whole reason for
> doing stuff async initially was to speed boot, so probing can still be
> ongoing even after the initrd exits.
>
> If you think about it, most modern fabrics are hot plug.  Just because
> the initial scan has completed there's no guarantee that all the devices
> have appeared yet.

Fine for single device root, but what about raid and degraded assembly?

Last time I checked scsi_wait_scan was still being used by dracut in
the case where it decides to stop waiting for all raid members to
appear.  It's a "last call" before proceeding with degraded assembly.

If you immediately assemble and mount root as soon as the root device
could be started it will almost always be a degraded array.  Sure the
initramfs can just timeout arrival, but at a minimum that timeout
should be "load module + flush scanning".  Without a flush mechanism
it's just a shot in the dark what that minimum timeout should be.

If ata error recovery is kicking in and needs 10s of seconds to
recover a drive I'd want my initramfs to wait for that process to
quiesce before timing out and moving on.

--
Dan