understanding mdraid initialization logic

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what goals dracut wants to reach regarding mdraids -
what should the status of the mdraids be when dracut is finished?

Currently I see that when dracut includes an mdadm.conf, all these mds will
stay active when dracut ends. When dracut does not use/include an mdadm.conf,
the mds will be deactivated again at the end of dracut unless they are needed
for the root filesystem.

This logic is in modules.d/90mdraid/parse-md.sh, it is done by conditionally
deleting the mdraid-cleanup.sh.

What is the reason for deactivating the mds? Why is this handled differently
when an mdadm.conf is present?

I need an dracut image which is portable across a lot of machines so I can't
include an mdadm.conf. But when the real system starts after dracut is done,
all mds except the root one are gone and can't be mounted through fstab. I use
filesystem labels in fstab, so the md numbers are irrelevant.

Kind regards,

Gerd

--
Address (better: trap) for people I really don't want to get mail from:
jonas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx