Re: crypt-cleanup.sh question

What is the rationale behind closing all /dev/mapper/luks-* devices which are not 'busy' in this shell script? Why would they have to be 'busy' (I presume
already mapped) to be left open?

I am asking this because when the smartcard module opens a LUKS drive (not root - '/') - this drive later to be mapped from the actual root /etc/fstab file as '/dev/mapper/luks-XXX /some/directory' - this operation does not succeed and I presume crypt-cleanup.sh closes it up before the actual root can
get it and therefore it cannot be mapped.
Further to the above, I was able to verify that the above script is indeed to
blame for closing LUKS partitions. The only 'busy' partition at the time
crypt-cleanup.sh runs is the root (/sysroot) so I don't see how a LUKS partition (other than root) specified at the kernel command line could be opened, unless I
am missing something obvious...

So, what's the problem? You get real root and can do everything on the real system afterwards...
Well, 'the problem' as you put it, is that when I open a LUKS partition within initramfs (which isn't root!) the crypt-cleanup.sh script in the crypt module closes it before switching the real root and therefore that partition is no longer available and cannot be mapped.

The same goes if I use the crypt module itself - it asks me for a password, opens the required partition and then promptly closes that same partition before switching root.

My original query (and the reason for starting this thread) is what is the rationale behind this - why not leave the LUKS partitions which were open within initramfs to stay open so that they could be mapped by the userspace tools/the kernel itself?