Re: NFS root with Dracut not calling nfsroot script

On 10/04/2010 06:22 AM, daniel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've been trying to PXE boot using Dracut with an NFS root.

I've been able to boot the node via PXE, get an IP address on eth0 but it always
fails to mount the root device. I have it set to drop into the shell and at this
point if I do:

mount.nfs xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/vol/blah /sysroot -o nolock # it works i.e. I can
mount the NFS.

I've tried various methods in specifying the root via the kernel cmd param's and
also in the DHCP config with no luck in getting it to mount and pivot.

Here is the pxeboot.cfg file:

# NFS server for OS image (imageroot) is at address 10.197.170.5
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 10
DEFAULT 1
DISPLAY messages
LABEL 1
KERNEL vmlinuz-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
APPEND rw bootdev=eth0 ip=eth0:dhcp
root=nfs:10.197.170.5:/vol/filerboot/linux/images/live-mon-test:fg,nfsvers=3,nolock,timeo=600,retrans=2,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nointr,actimeo=3600,tcp,noacl,rw
initrd=initrd-2.6.34-gentoo-r1-dracut rdshell

Am I missing something preventing the NFS booting? Maybe missing something in
the Kernel?

It appears the nfsroot script is never called. If I manually call it from the
recovery shell the nfs root is mounted to /sysroot.

The init.log is attached.

Thanks in advance.

From the init.log:

ifup.eth0.783 + dhclient -4 -1 -q -cf /etc/dhclient.conf -pf /tmp/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /tmp/dhclient.eth0.lease eth0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2p1-Gentoo
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Usage: dhclient [-1dqrx] [-nw] [-p <port>] [-s server]
[-cf config-file] [-lf lease-file][-pf pid-file] [-e VAR=val]
[-sf script-file] [interface]

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@xxxxxxx
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
ifup.eth0.783 + echo dhcp failed
dhcp failed

So, it seeems like your dhclient does not support one of the options (most likely "-4"). You might want to try dhclient version > 4 or modify /usr/share/dracut/modules.d/40network/ifup and remove "-4" from "do_dhcp -4".