Re: dracut modules

Harald Hoyer <harald@...> writes:

> On 06/24/2010 02:38 PM, Dave Stone wrote:
> > Hi everyone.  Are there any documents describing how to add new modules
> > to /usr/share/dracut/modules.d?  I have looked at what is available with
RHEL6
> > Beta 1 version.  I would need to insert my own drivers before lvm.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> own drivers == kernel driver modules?
>
> /etc/dracut.conf:
>
> # additional kernel modules to the default
> #add_drivers+=""
>
> or put it in /etc/dracut.conf.d/mykernelmodules.conf
> add_drivers+=" mykernelmodule "
>
> or put it on the kernel command line (see man dracut):
>
> rdloaddriver=<drivername>
>       force loading kernel module <drivername> This parameter can be
specified
> multiple times.

Thanks for the responses guys.  I have read the REDAME file and other related
docs.  I think my first inquiry was not sufficient so I'll try to explain a
little better.

What I'm trying to do is to insert a third party multi-pathing package before
root "/" is mounted.  This needs to be done in BFS(boot from SAN)
environment.  The equivalent of this with SLES11 was to write 71-setup-MP.sh
and 21-boot-MP.sh scripts.  Then use mkinitrd with -f to add this new feature
to the initrd image.  I need to simulate the same setup and boot scripts to do
the same thing for RHEL6.

I assume this is possible with dracut.  I also think I need to use pre-mount
hook to do this.  I'm still not sure of what I should use for two digit
numeric code.

One other question when using rdloaddriver=<drivername> at what stage of boot
process does this driver gets loaded?

Regards,
-Dave