Re: [RFC] console_init.c in i18n module

On 06/14/2010 08:31 AM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to make i18n distro independent or at least
more flexible.

Module 10redhat-i18n depends on two programs from RH initscripts
package: console_init and console_check.  Those tools are called by udev
and if we deliver just keymaps and few things like loadkey we're fine.
But… console_* are RH specific stuff (included in initscript package).
I see two easy approaches:

     * Putting its sources into Dracut tree beside switch_root.c.
       They don't depend on any library, so it should be easy.
     * Rewrite as a shell script (but it's redundant work if the first
       way is OK).

Moreover console_check isn't installed by Dracut at all, but it's in
default “10-console.rules” rule.  This tool just setup speed for serial
console which we do by kernel params, so I guess we can skip it.  In
that case modified 10-console.rules should be delivered inside i18n
module.

What do you think about it?

Cheers,
Amadeusz Żołnowski

I would be happy, if we had a shell replacement, or a small rewrite without the libglib (huge lib only referenced by console_init).