Thoughts on iscsi and nbd

We seem to be doing them wrong -- going by the way we specify using them on the kernel commandline, we appear to only support booting directly to an iscsi or nbd lun, with no possibility of having an lvm or luks layer on top of the iscsi transport.

Am I missing some important doc or piece of code that implies otherwise?