Re: Race condition? /tmp/net.ifaces and pre-pivot

Warren Togami wrote:
I am running into an odd issue that is supposedto be impossible.

pre-pivot/20write-ifcfg.sh is often being run but fails to write net.*.ifcfg files because /tmp/net.ifaces does not exist at that moment. The mount was otherwise successful, and rdbreak before switch_root sees that /tmp/net.ifaces exists.

With plain "root=dhcp" with a NFS rootfs, it seems to never happen. However with "root=dhcp bridge", perhaps 25-75% of the time it is failing to write ifcfg files.

Some kind of race going on? An inspection of the code seems to me that /tmp/net.ifaces should have already been created prior to pre-pivot?

This is not entirely unexpected due to the asynchronousness of udev-events and the new initqueue/mount-loop.

The correct solution would be to move the whole call of netroot to the initqueue, which we'll have to do anyway when we start handling interface timeouts with arp.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx