Re: Broken substitution

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 17:39 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> On 07/29/2009 05:37 PM, David Dillow wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 17:13 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> >> Upstream dhclient writes out \032 instead of a space if multiple search
> >> domains are specified in dhcpd.conf.  It has been this way for years.
> >> Debian and Fedora have worked around this by doing the below bash
> >> substitution.  Upstream has rejected fixing this in dhclient for
> >> different reasons.
> >>
> >> The substitution below works on bash but not dash.
> >>
> >> Dillow suggested this method that will work with bash and dash.
> >> Unfortunately I now noticed that this seems to remove the space between
> >> search domain entries.
> >
> > What are you talking about?
> >
> > # dash
> > $ t="1 2"
> > $ printf "$t"
> > 1 2$
> >

> It handles an actual space just fine.  But not the broken \032 space
> from dhclient.

Ok, it looked link a space in the terminal, but when I went to copy it
into this mail to show that I still could not reproduce the problem, I
noticed the actual issue -- \032 is not a space, it is ctrl-Z (0x1a, or
SUB).

Can we get dhclient to fix this obvious bug, even if they won't fix the
real issue? We've tried to avoid working around tool bugs in the past,
and as I understand it, this is a combo dhclient bug and DHCP server
configuration bug, so is it really important to work around it?

There may be a way to build a loop to convert instances of \032 to
spaces, but it will be ugly.

Or perhaps printf and a few games with IFS.