Re: initqueue

Harald Hoyer wrote:
On 07/02/2009 02:39 PM, Seewer Philippe wrote:
Harald Hoyer wrote:
To move all "big" jobs out of the udev event handling, I introduce the
"initqueue". This prevents the job from being killed by udev timeouts.

See
http://dracut.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=dracut;a=commit;h=eab677a2164bccb3990487dc5ef4549b30cb1055

for the patch.

Basically inside a udev event, you don't do

RUN+="/sbin/ifup $env{INTERFACE}"

you now queue this in the initqueue with:

RUN+="/sbin/initqueue /sbin/ifup $env{INTERFACE}"

Inside init all jobs are worked on in serial order by the
do_initqueue() function.

Now we have no more side effects due to the parallel nature of udev
and still be fast, in case udev supports "udevadm settle
--exit-if-exists="

Please don't do that. That way we actually loose the benefit of doing as
much in parallel as possible. Instead please consider the patch below.
I've been fiddling with this for a few weeks now. It basically replaces
the current "wait-for-root" loop with a loop that queries the udev-queue
and only exits if either root is available or all udev events have been
processed.

It works, except if a udev event takes longer than the default 180s as is
the case with an unpatches cryptsetup and/or if we do user-interaction
from within udev which we shouldn't do anyway.

Thank you,
Philippe

Well, you could remove the initqueue for ifup events, but I would like to keep it at least for cryptsetup.

Why not just put cryptsetup back into mountscripts as I've suggested before?