Re: 13 NFS syntax variations

On 06/18/2009 06:15 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:
What should we cut?

1) The most obvious to cut are the Legacy Variations. Why should
dracut invent three new syntaxes and immediately declare them Legacy?
Removing these would be the simplest.

If I understand David Dillow correctly they were meant as shortcuts.
Removing them doesn't break anything, so I agree.

Soon pushing this. This removes 3 variations of the nfsroot.txt syntax that are new inventions of dracut.

2) Harald and I think we should cut Group B. The netroot= syntax is
necessary only for remote block device protocols like iscsci and nbd
when you want to use LVM or crypto on those block devices. For NFS it
is only redundant.

Reduntant: Yes. But it keeps the argument scheme consistent. And dracut
is allowed to introduce new syntaxes if they make sense.

root= and netroot= redundant syntaxes with redundant tests make sense how?

* netroot= NFS variation adds to confusion understanding the documentation and examples. * Complaints about the tests taking too long? Remove all the redundant tests that do identical root= and netroot=.
* Separate netroot= only exists for remote block devices, useless for NFS.

This would remove 3 redundant new syntaxes.

3) I personally think we should cut the "nfs:" prefixed syntaxes from
Group A, B and C because they have no precedent and we're better off
with fewer variations. Others have disagreed though.

Alternatively, how do people feel about removing the NFS syntax that is missing the nfs: prefix? It was poorly supported (did not support nfs-options) in mkinitrd, lacked DHCP support, and non-existent in Debian's initramfs-tools.

root=[<server-ip>:]<root-dir>[:<nfs-options>]
root=dhcp
	root-path=[<server-ip>:]<root-dir>[:<nfs-options>]

RHEL5 supported the former without nfs-options, but without the ability to load network drivers it was almost useless.
Fedora 10+ supported the latter with root=dhcp but without nfs-options.

1) Leave it as-is.
2) Remove it.
3) Support it but print deprecation warnings like Legacy nfsroot.txt.

Opinions?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx