udevadm settle timeout semantics

The manpage for udevadm (version 141) says about the timeout for settle and --timeout:

[quote]
udevadm settle [options]
       Watches the udev event queue, and exits if all
       current events are handled.

--timeout=seconds
           Maximum number of seconds to wait for the event
           queue to become empty. The default value is 180
           seconds. A value of 0 will check if the queue
           is empty and always return immediately.
[/quote]

Am I reading this correctly if I assume that udevadm has to wait for an event to be "handled" regardless of the timeout value?

Example: dhclient has a default of 60 seconds to try to get an ip address until it fails. udevadm settle waits for the whole 60 seconds to pass regardless of the timeout parameter.

Is this behaviour as intended?

Thanks for the help,
Philippe